Whom Shall I Blame?

blame

The other day I took a pretty nasty spill off my front porch.  While in flight, before the hard landing on my tail bone, I attempted to catch myself by grabbing air or whatever my mind haphazardly thought it could grab.  The result is a possible torn rotator cuff, black and blue booty, and sprained knee.  An upcoming MRI will determine the extent of damage.

So, this brings me to my question.  Whom shall I blame?

This is a perfect opportunity to address some thoughts and beliefs by many of my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus.  Some will tell me that this was the devil trying to hurt me because I was causing many to think about revival.  If you have not seen them, look at my previous four posts.  The Lord was giving me some awesome information that I was sharing with you, the readers.  Others might say, this was the sovereign act of God to humble me or to teach me a lesson, or to slow me down.

Well, the truth of the matter is….”It was my own fault.”  You see, I could blame the devil, but he does not control me.  He does not make me go to the left nor the right.  He’s got nothing on me.

I could blame God and say that He is trying to teach me a lesson…but a lesson in what?  I went to the doctor, so if my lesson was to have faith, I failed.  If He was trying to slow me down so I could hear Him, all this did was numb my brain as I hobble around saying, “Ouch, ouch ouch.”  Maybe He wanted to humble me by giving me a thorn in my side.  “Naaaahh.  I’m still as arrogant as ever.”

No, the truth of the matter is, I was going down a set of steps that I knew got slick when it rained.  I even warned my wife about using a different set of steps because these were directly under a tree that has a reputation for pooping slime all over the steps.  I knew not to go down the steps.  However, Mr. Macho Brain-o here decided he could handle the slippery terrain like a real mountaineer.  Guess what?  I could not.

In the end, neither the devil nor God were to blame for this painful little lesson on the effects of rain and slime upon steps.  It was all me.  As for other things completely out of our control, we live in a cursed world.  Man caused the curse not God.  Can I explain it all.  No, and neither can anyone else.  That is why we must walk by faith.

With that out of the way, please forgive any grammatical errors and or misspellings you may see.  I could blame this on my hurt arm, but truth be known, I haven’t had my first cup of coffee yet.  Be blessed.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Christian, teaching, writing
21 comments on “Whom Shall I Blame?
  1. KIA says:

Great post. Seems pretty honest and true to me too.

2. Andy Oldham says:

Hope you heal quickly!

3. I’m so sorry! Ouch. May you heal quickly.

Several years ago, I did a swan dive off my deck and landed in two perfect ankle holes the dog had dug. It was actually the dog’s fault, and my husband’s fault for leaving clutter about, and my fault for being a klutz.

It was also the most awesome thing that could have happened to me, because it was right before Christmas, nothing was done, and I was such a control freak at one time. Being unable to walk, forced to depend on others, forced to let go of what was not important, forced to spend time in prayer, reading, meditation changed everything.

As people we tend to get too caught up in the blame/shame game, so we’re always looking for fault, as if we can label things good/bad and go yell at who ever caused them, or better yet, sue for the injustice of it all. We can get all confused about God’s sovereignty and start to wonder if He’s out to get us. Rather than rejecting His sovereignty over the things I perceive as “bad” or my own fault, I try to find the pearls he has hidden in them. I call it pearl diving in a cesspool, because it isn’t always so easy but, ” we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

I probably wouldn’t say that to someone experiencing some form of misery, but there is still truth there. When I look back on some things in my life, I’m startled to realize how important they were to the things that came later, how they prepared me in ways I never saw coming.

4. Don’t try to blame your grammatical and spelling mistakes on a lack of coffee! Why didn’t you edit more? Why didn’t you hand-write a rough draft? Why didn’t you give your post to another person to review? No. You have no one to blame for your silly grammatical and spelling errors but yourself! How’s that for playing the blame game? This is so relevant to me in this season. I’m experiencing some depression and some fly-off-the-handle irritability related to PTSD and old age. I’m finding that when anything (and I mean ANY-thing) goes wrong, the FIRST THING I do is find someone or something else to blame. I hate it, but it’s part of the changes wrought by the depression. My psychologist and I are working on it. I really DO hate when I blame someone or something and not take responsibility for it myself. Thanks for sharing this Patrick. I’m afraid I’m guilty as well. Nice post. I hope you’re okay and the MRI comes up normal. My wife tore her rotater cuff and the rehab was not pleasant.

5. Mel Wild says:

You’re really to be blamed for some great insights here! 🙂
    Thank you for exposing our superstitious doctrines that masquerade as “discernment,” and that enable us to keep scapegoating God and everybody else. Ouch and amen!

*hugs* hope you aren’t too damaged and feel better soon and have an abundance of M&Ms as well as grace 🙂

Gosh..hope you are okay!