Revive Us…Revive us for What?

church

I have a serious question for you.   Do you know why you are asking for revival?  This is not a trick question but is a question for you to answer honestly.

I just read a quote from  17th century pastor Richard Baxter that made me stop in my tracks.  I stopped in order to ask the Lord for forgiveness.  Why?  It is because I am guilty of not living, teaching, and writing with the full expectation of seeing a real move of God.

“If your hearts be not set on the end of your labors, and you do not long to see the conversion and edification of your hearers (or your readers – addition mine), and do not study and preach in hope, you are not likely to see much fruit of it.  It is an ill sign of a false, self-seeking heart, that can be content to be still doing, and see no fruit of their labor.” Richard Baxter

Again, I ask the question.  “Why are you asking for revival?”  Is is so that you may feel all warm and fuzzy inside by the fresh touch from God.  Or, do you live in the full expectation of seeing broken hearts and broken bodies mended?  Is your end desire to see the lost found?

Better yet, are you expecting and willing to share the seat next to you with the smelly, the drunkards, the prostitutes, the cast-a-ways of life who are drawn into church buildings by the power of God and the unction of the Holy Spirit?  So, again I ask, “What is the end result of your request for revival?”  Think about it…

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Christian, teaching, writing
24 comments on “Revive Us…Revive us for What?
  1. Convicting word! I’m afraid that most of us don’t have a clue about real revival.

2. Timely question, Patrick. Pastor asked us to pray for revival in our church several months ago. I’m willing to bet that 90% plus of our members have no idea what that meant.

3. Oh, a dozen amens!

I too was convicted over praying for revival, a couple of times. What tends to “revive” people is war, poverty, societal collapse, misery. We’ll suddenly draw close to Christ in the midst of complete despair. When He is all you have, He is all you need, but who would wish that on people as a state of being? My prayers for revival were actually cruel. And God said to me,” My grace is sufficient. Revive your own self and go forth and spread the good news.”

We pray regularly to be a church that draws people in. We pray for an outpouring of God’s Spirit to save the lost… It’s gonna be a lot messier than we think. Just like having and raising kids isn’t all cute clothes and giggles and serene family photos.

” Is is so that you may feel all warm and fuzzy inside by the fresh touch from God.”

Yes, it makes us feel good. Then, when nothing happens we can say..”Well, we asked didn’t we?”

I’m sorry, that was quite cynical, wasn’t it?

• You are only writing the truth as you see it. It appears that the Church is doing a lot of praying but doing very little expecting. You have been doing a series on James. As we see, Elijah had to fervently pray and continue to pray till he saw the results.

• Wally Fry says:

Ha…I may have to rerun my Elijah stuff! He sure did pray persistently, and expectantly. Gosh, how many times did he send that fellow to look for the rain. Even when all it was finally was a dark cloud, he took off running assuming the rain was coming! I like the story of Elijah about as much as the Book of James.

6. Mel Wild says:

I’m totally with you on this, we need hearts on fire for Him. As Wesley said, they will come to watch us burn! But I pray for a “lifestyle” of revival, living everyday with a revived heart, living from heaven to earth, discipling others to live the same way, full of what fills God (Eph.3:19). This is what transforms nations. Revival, as we normally think of it, comes and goes. Revival is seen as an event. This notion of revival is deeply embedded in our Western Church culture.

I guess my problem with some of our praying for revival is not the heart behind it, but that our notions of revival actually keeps us from living in revival. Our paradigm is rather Old Testament. God comes and goes, the Holy Spirit only visits rather than inhabits, it’s a “please don’t take Your Holy Spirit away from me… ” prayer, when, in reality, we are in Christ in heavenly places in God (Eph.2:6), and He inhabits us continually. What we need is greater awareness of Who’s in us, not living as orphans, waiting for God to come and rend the heavens, but living under an open heaven as His sons and daughters everyday, growing in grace, from glory to glory!

Well…enough preaching! 🙂 Good word, Patrick!

• Bingo! You hit the nail on the head with what you wrote, “Revival as we normally think of it comes and goes.” There are seasons with the Lord in which He will pour out His Spirit in dramatic fashion and that is what most think of as revival.

To me, revival means the raising of the dead back to life…that we become the Church we are meant to be, who goes into all the world teaching, preaching and healing. Revival to me means a Body that has been given a second chance at life and does not squander it on self indulgence but is committed to reaching the world.

Keep on preaching… you have some good stuff.

7. WOW! Talk about making me stop and think! I’m gonna have to read this again and allow your question to soak in. I don’t know if I have the right answer, even any answer at all. Thanks for sharing.

Amen. True revival is more than just feelings within us; its God’s work in His people but also those who are lost. This came at the right time I read this as someone asked me a question about where I was going for evangelism and if those people would help our church.

9. […] Original post @  https://servinggrace.com/2017/01/07/revive-us-revive-us-for-what/ […]

Reblogged this on Truth in Palmyra and commented:
    Tonight for my evening reblog, I am sharing part two of this great series by Patrick. Please come along for the read, and let Patrick know what you think. Blessings and enjoy!

11. I love this post! We always need to remember to keep Jesus and His kingdom at the forefront of our minds. As one pastor I heard said, “Never let an hour go by that you don’t think about eternity.”