Time to Put Er’ to Rest (God’s Absolute Sovereignty)

calvin

My past several posts have been dealing with the Doctrine of Absolute Sovereignty according to some rather disturbing teachings that is being preached from many pulpits.  With this post I hope to put the subject to rest.

What I have found is that some of my readers agree with me, some agree with me after I clarified a few things, some are still on the fence, and some totally disagree with me.  It is to those who are on the fence or totally disagree that I write this.  Some of what I write may look familiar being as it has appeared in some of my responses.

To first understand God’s sovereignty, the definition of sovereignty must first be understood.  What I have found out is that some may THINK they know the definition but really don’t.  I was in this camp.  It was not until I understood the word sovereignty, along with other lessons, that certain erroneous ideas about my Heavenly Father began to disappear.

Notice my use of the word Heavenly Father.  When I thought of Him, as in the definition of those who subscribe to this particular teaching of Absolute Sovereignty, i.e. the belief that He orders everything, controls everything, and rules over everything, He was my God but not my Heavenly Father.  There’s a big difference.  He was the God who allowed loved ones in my life to get sick…He was the God who caused bad things to happen to teach me a lesson.  He was a mean God, an angry God who I said I loved, yet I was unable to understand.  He was the God who pointed to this person and damned them to hell while simultaneously spreading His arms wide to this other person, ushering them into heaven.  Wow!  How wrong I was.

So first, what is the definition of sovereignty according to the Bible?  Well, that’s the thing.  I cannot find sovereignty in the King James Version of the Bible.  In the New King James Version it was used in one place in reference to King Saul’s sovereignty, but that is all.  I found it in other, newer Bible translations, but admittedly did not pursue them.  So apparently, the Doctrine of God’s Absolute Sovereignty is a name assigned to a particular belief based on an interpretive view of the Word of God.

So, let’s use the definition of sovereignty found in Webster’s Dictionary, 1828 version.  We can be assured this is a version used before political correctness.

SOVEREIGN, adjective suv’eran. [We retain this babarous orthography from the Norman sovereign The true spelling would be suveran from the Latin supernes, superus.]

1. Supreme in power; possessing supreme dominion; as a sovereign ruler of the universe.
  2. Supreme; superior to all others; chief. God is the sovereign good of all who love and obey him.
  3. Supremely efficacious; superior to all others; predominant; effectual; as a sovereign remedy
  4. Supreme; pertaining to the first magistrate of a nation; as sovereign authority.

SOVEREIGN, noun suv’eran.

1. A supreme lord or ruler; one who possesses the highest authority without control. Some earthly princes, kings and emperors are sovereigns in their dominions.
  2. A supreme magistrate; a king.

After reading this definition, I believe you will see that I am all about God’s sovereignty. He is ABSOLUTELY SOVEREIGN. What I’m against is the common teaching, called the Doctrine of ABSOLUTE SOVEREIGNTY which teaches that nothing is left to chance OR free will.  In other words, God either caused it or condoned it. This is also of the same teaching that asserts that God picks and chooses who will be saved and who will be damned.

This particular teaching of Absolute Sovereignty, which places the total burden of the world’s problems on the shoulders of our Heavenly Father, is a doctrine (a belief) of convenience. It is adopting a Que Sarah, Sarah attitude that whatever will be will be.  It is lazy Christianity; an excuse to justify poor decisions. It is the attitude of, “Why am I bothering to stretch my faith or change personal habits.  I will just blame all of life’s problems on God.”

Is God sovereign?  YES!  If He were not, why would we even bother to pray?  Why would we even bother to ask Him to intervene in a situation?  If He were not sovereign He could not alter the course of events.  Would you agree with that?  Awww, but that is where the rub comes in.  Some of you might be thinking through the lens of your Doctrine of Absolute Sovereignty, “All prayer is for the purpose of getting God to change His mind.  After all, He is ultimately responsible.”

To those who believe that, I will end with two questions

• When are you (those who believe in this false teaching) going to start putting as much energy into using your faith to stand against the devil, the curse on this land, or to correct poor life decisions as you do in putting the blame on God?
  • If you disagree with me asking question number one I present question number 2. When are you going to quit griping and belly aching about the evil and the stupidity of this world?  After all, according to this popular teaching on the Doctrine of Absolute Sovereignty, it is what it is…

You may now commence to throw rotten fruit at my head.  Be blessed.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in teaching, writing
30 comments on “Time to Put Er’ to Rest (God’s Absolute Sovereignty)
  1. Lol! Rotten fruit, huh? I hear what you are saying about lazy Christianity that just sits back and sighs, oh well, thy will be done. It must be God’s will for those people to be poor or sick or downtrodden.

I hear you too, about how God is good, always, how he has our best interests at heart. God does not give us cancer or what not.

• Hey…I can’t let you get all the rotten fruit.

• Blayne says:

Who dose give us cancer & what not?

• Hi Blayne. Thanks for dropping by. The Bible tells us in many places that sickness is from the devil and not from God. For example, in Acts 10:38 we are told, “…God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.”

All the sickness we have actually began in the Garden of Eden following the fall by Adam and Eve when they turned dominion over to Satan. Jesus died to regain the lost authority, but the curse of Adams sin is still upon the earth.

Isaiah 53:5, Psalm 103:1-5, 1 Peter 2:24, Matthew chapter 8 are among some of the Bible passages that tell us it is God’s will that we walk in health.

• Blayne says:

Did God not decree that to happen to bring Glory to himself & the son?

Also are you saying that after the fall God lost dominion & Satan had control so God sent Jesus to to regain Dominion?

• Ahhh….I see where this is going. In my younger days I engaged in many-a-debate. Not today. Have a wonderful day.

Good work my friend.

Thank you for the clear delineation between God’s absolutely sovereignty as part of His nature, and the doctrine of que sarah sarah.

4. Shane says:

To quote one of my favorite movies “At”ll do donkey, At’ll do…” (Shreck).

5. Mel Wild says:

I never understood why “absolute sovereignty” somehow excluded God’s sovereign choice to give us free will. In fact, love requires it. If we only love God because He forced us to love Him, is that really love? Not to mention, there’s all kinds of characters resisting His will in the Bible! A lot of this doctrine comes from a bad interpretation of Romans 9.

God’s will was to limit Himself in His wisdom what He could easily do in His power. Jesus was a perfect example (Phil.2:5-8). If Jesus didn’t have free will, then emptying Himself would’ve been an absolutely meaningless gesture.

Good word, Patrick! Blessings.

• Thanks for the comment, Mel. This whole series has been about me trying to wrap my brain around how we (Christian’s) do our best to take the simple and make it so complicated.

• Blayne says:

Where do you find free will in the Bible?!? The lost person is a slave to sin.

Ask Jesus had free will Bc he was perfect & was from the father.

No one can resist Gods will. John 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up. When Hod draws you, you will Come. Logically speaking why would you not come?

• Wally Fry says:

Blayne

So, God is the author and creator of sin, sickness, and death? If that is so, why on earth are we accountable for it?

The total lack of free will implies also a lack of accountability

You really can’t get around that

• Blayne says:

God is sovereign. All knowing & all powerful. He allows & makes all things to happen Bc he is God & can do as he pleases. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, He works & allows all things that come to pass to the council of his. He is God he can do as he pleases to whom he pleases. Who is the clay to say to the potter why have you made or done this to me

• Wally Fry says:

Ah….sure I agree with about most of what you said Blayne. But you didn’t really address what I said. If there is not free will at all…..then how are we accountable for our sin?

It’s a simply question, and I really don’t want to fight about it, but it bears answering.

In fact, since you obviously think God is all powerful, and I happen to agree that He is. He is certainly sovereign enough to maintain all power yet grant us some free will. You saying He cannot is actually placing limitations on him.

Food for thought, but without a concise, understandable answer to the question I asked, it’s a pointless conversation.

• Blayne says:

This is what I’m saying the lost person will ALWAYS choose sin never God. Unless God draws him in & regenerates his heart changes his nature then he can accept God. After that we as christens will still follow our hearts desires we will just have a new nature the nature of Christ to choose

• Wally Fry says:

OK Blayne, not my blog so I won’t argue.

Peace

• Mel Wild says:

Who can resist God’s will? Hmmm…let me see…

“You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.” (Acts 7:51)

7 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!” (Matt.23:37)

You mentioned John 6:44, but then later Jesus said this about who He would draw…
        “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” (John 12:32)

Even though God’s will is that ALL come to salvation, yet obviously many won’t accept the invitation…
        “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Pet. 3:9)

The following statement of Jesus implies that God’s will can be resisted. Otherwise, it would be pointless to say this…
        “For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.” (Matt.12:50)

Also, it’s kind of pointless to pray, “Your kingdom come.Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven” (Matt.6:10) if God’s will cannot be resisted.

I could list a couple dozen more but it would make my comments rather long.

• Blayne says:

Let’s look & see what the nature of man is first. The nature of man is a child of wrath by nature. Therefore when we are born we are born into sin & will always choose sin in less God draws us. & when God draws we will come Bc he has predestined is before hand.

In acts 7 If you look up he says uncircumcised in HEART meaning they where lost. God had left there hearts harded for his greater plan. That Jesus would come & die.

john 12:32 is out of context

• Mel and Wally…Blayne obviously loves to argue for the sake of argument. That is why I did not engage him when he tried to get me to bite. I don’t mind one bit if you both continue this discussion with him. I don’t think he knows who he is dealing with though, but that will be for him to find out.