Maybe the Atheists do have a Point (Part 1)

questions

Lately I have been reading more and more articles and hearing more and more teachings that are making my heart ache.  This is due to an apparent callousness that seems to be increasingly invading the Body of Christ.  This callousness is not necessarily towards man but is toward God Himself.  One such thought is the resurgence of Calvinism.

I have been sitting on this series for the better part of a year.  I don’t wish to offend anyone but at the same time I cannot seem to get this topic out of my mind.  Therefore, I will put my trust in my Heavenly Father and put it out there.

There are five main points to Calvinism.  They are Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, and Perseverance of the Saints (T.U.L.I.P…) The two points I wish to focus on for this series are Unconditional Election and Limited Atonement.  I will address these in much greater detail in a follow up post but here is a brief explanation behind the two points.

Unconditional Election:  God chooses, by His own sovereign will, those whom He will save and those who are damned.  This is not based off of anyone’s individual works but is based off of the sovereignty of God.  Thus the name, Unconditional Election. According to the Westminster Confession of Faith, to those He has chosen He enlightens their minds…

“spiritually and savingly, to understand the things of God, taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them an heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good; and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.” (Westminster Confession of Faith.)

This is partially based off of Romans 9:15 and Ephesians 1:4-8.

For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. (Romans 9:15 KJV)

According as He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; (Ephesians 1:4-8 KJV)

Limited Atonement:  Simply put, Jesus did not die for the sins of all but for the sins of those chosen in the Unconditional Election. This is based partially off John 17:9.

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. (John 17:9 KJV)

My purpose for addressing this subject is not to create an argument but to ask one simple question.  “Do those who subscribe to atheism have a point?”

I have heard it over and over, “Why would a loving God send people to hell?”  That question is infallibly met with the quick draw response, “God does not send people to hell.  People choose to go to hell by not accepting Jesus as Lord.”

I’m not sure that this argument will hold up any longer.  If what I’m seeing as becoming a resurging theme of thought is indeed becoming a main thought, I will have to side with the atheist in asking the question, “Why would a loving God send people to hell?”

I will address this in greater detail on my next post but if your thoughts lean toward Unconditional Election and Limited Atonement you are in fact telling people that God sends people to hell.  Until the next post, be blessed.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Christian, teaching
23 comments on “Maybe the Atheists do have a Point (Part 1)

Nicely done Patrick

Unconditional Election I shall leave alone, as I simply can’t explain it.

Limited Atonement? Not on board with that one. I do believe we are so far gone that we would never come to Jesus on our own…but I also read that He does draw all, thus all have the opportunity.

Because, as you said, limited atonement renders that question unanswerable. Well, there is an answer, and it is the one they already think.

You are a brave man my friend.

2. Modupsity says:

Hymn! Well written… I won’t take sides with the limited atonement ….
    Well, until the part is published..then

Really looking forward to what you have to say. So much mystery, and I seem to be more and more comfortable with it, mystery that is.

4. I’m fascinated that the Lord is leading both of us, at the same time, to tackle this whole issue.

5. Mel Wild says:

Atheist author, Christopher Hitchens once said that he was technically a “Presbyterian atheist.” That says a lot about some of the aspects you brought up about the Calvinism.

Look forward to what you have to says and will be praying for you as you stick your head in the lion’s mouth…. 🙂

Looking forward to your next post brother.

7. Everyonesmama says:

A friend sent me this..idkw..cuz I never indulge. But,my interest was peeked. Tell me more..i used to think God would never put his stamp on something bad are ugly yet he allows it to happen! Hmmmm we on our own here..no matter the service and u surrender all and BOOM.U still a casuslity..special elections are sacrifices..damned if we do damned If we dont…

• Hi mama… Unfortunately, your thoughts of, “We are on our own,” is the result of many false teachings. One of those false teachings is why I wrote this particular post. For the second part click on the link below.

As for God allowing things to happen, this is a subject I am soon to focus on. I hope you will stick around for it. Be blessed.

• By the way…this is an answer I wrote to a friend who had a similar question.

I’m sure you would agree that sickness is not of God but is of the devil. All through the Gospels Jesus went about teaching, preaching and healing….teaching, preaching, and healing. He was doing the will of the Father.

So, for the Father to now place evil on someone, such as sickness, would mean He is working directly against not only His personal mission (carried out by Jesus,) but is also nullifying the blood sacrifice of Jesus. This would also mean that he is using satan to first place the bad stuff on people. He has therefore created a divided kingdom.

Remember when the Pharisees accused Jesus of being a devil because He was driving out devils? Jesus said, “A kingdom divided against itself will fall.”’

Simply put, when I get to wondering if something is of God I stop and think on those things which are allowed in heaven. If they are not allowed in heaven, God is not the author of it.

As for God allowing it, we have to go back and look at the curse created by the fall of Adam and Eve. Prior to the fall, dominion was given to man. With the fall, dominion was turned over to satan. We see this in the testing of Jesus. (Matthew 4:8-9) Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.” It wouldn’t be a temptation if it wasn’t his to give.

There will come a day when God takes back the authority He gave man. Until then we will continue to see bad things happen and of course the earth travailing. And boy is it ever travailing.