Ending the Temptation/Failure Cycle!

warefare

There is no greater battle that can be fought than the inner battle between your own personal spirit and your fleshly side.  As the Apostle Paul said, and I paraphrase, I want to do right but my fleshly man wants to do wrong.  “O’ wretched man that I am.” (Romans 7)

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the last time your flesh got a hold of you, you fought and struggled before eventually giving in.  This has been a repeated cycle over and over again.  You do well for a short period of time and then, “whamo,” here comes the temptation again, followed by guilt and self- condemnation.

The question is, “Why?”  Why do we constantly fight this urge to do wrong when we know to do right?  It is because we have been fighting the wrong enemy.  Let me explain by first asking a couple of questions.

Would you agree that, as a Christian, we have been given authority over the devil through the shed blood of Jesus?  I sure hope your answer is ‘yes,’ otherwise we have some major work to do.  Would you also agree that all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life is not of the Father but is of the world?  Again, I hope your answer is ‘yes,’ because this is straight from 1 John 2:16.

If your answer was ‘yes,’ to both questions above I will now offer you the solution for fighting the flesh.  You ready?  Ok, the next time your fleshly desire rears its ugly head I want you to first recognize where the temptation is coming from.  If it is something that you personally opened the door to, then ask the Lord for forgiveness.  You have to shut that door.

Next, and this is where we all miss it, you must take the fight to the proper source.  If you are turning the spiritual fight towards yourself and your flesh, you are fighting with the wrong attacker.  Take your fight to the one who is the author of death, the devil himself.

Now, don’t get me wrong.  I am not suggesting that you take on the devil in all-out war.  That would be foolish.  Besides, the battle has already been fought and won by Jesus.  All we need to do is simply remind the devil of this.

So, this is how I personally fight the devil when he sneaks in with a fleshly attack.  Some of you might find this a little unorthodox but I am seeing results in my life.   I personally use the authority given me and tell the devil to shut his mouth in the name of Jesus and to not budge from the spot in which he stands until I command him to go.  I then make him listen to Bible verses which tell him who I am in Christ Jesus.

“I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.  I am a son of the Most High God, and a joint heir with Jesus.  I was purchased by the blood of the Lamb and it is through Him that I am sanctified, made holy before my God.  No weapon formed against me shall prosper and every tongue that rises against me I shall condemn. For this is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their righteousness is of me, says the Lord.”

By the time I am finished, all temptation has left.  I then command the devil to flee in the name of Jesus.  That’s it…that’s all there is to it.  Oh, and this is very important.  You can only pull out that which you put in.  If you dwell on soap operas there will be no well to draw from and no weapons available.  Get the Word in so you can get the Word out.  Be blessed.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Christian, teaching, writing
19 comments on “Ending the Temptation/Failure Cycle!

Very simple and straightforward huh? But, we have to actually do it…not just roll over and say…”Ok tempation, have at me.”

Good word brother.

2. Casey Dees says:

You’re doing a great job with your blog posts sir. Keep up the good work! Love the cover pic btw.

3. Pop says:

Very good my son. I tell the devil to ge off my front porch.

Sometime when he has really put the bug on you, is to invite him to sit down in front of you, then inform him to shut up and listen because you are going to read the Living Word to him. When done, then invite him off your front porch, not to return!

4. Israel Ashworth says:

Amen! I may yell out loud at the devil because as you said We have authority over evil.Great post.

I think there’s something to that Patrick. I think of 1 Peter 5:8-9, ” Be sober-minded and alert. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in your faith…”

• Thanks Pastor Jim…I’m really just imitating the actions of Jesus when He resisted the temptations in the wilderness. The difference being that the devil (then) had not yet been fully defeated by the shed blood of Jesus.

6. “I then make him listen to Bible verses which tell him who I am in Christ Jesus.”
    Reminds me of Tim Hawkins’ portrayal of how the devil is stymied when we put a “hedge of protection” around something:
    “Ooo, landscaping, my nemesis. How’d you know?”

7. Ufuomaee says:

Hi Patrick,

I have a different approach to these issues. My understanding is that Christ has already defeated death, sin and sickness. He has won the victory for us over Satan. And secondly, THEY that are with me are greater than those who oppose me or seek my destruction. I know that there is a time for warfare, but I REST in this knowledge. I don’t talk to the devil or resist him or anything… I turn to God and I FELLOWSHIP and worship, and my strength is renewed. I remember who I am and that the Lord is always with me, and even dwells in me. The devil has no power if we know who we are. And there’s nothing more frustrating to those who seek to frustrate you than being ignored! And I can ignore the devil because I know he is powerless over me. He whom the Son sets free is free in deed.

So my go to method is to rest and abide in Jesus and His finished work 🙂

Thanks for sharing yours.

8. This is a very useful post for me.